FYI courses seek to light the fire of intellectual curiosity in first-year undergraduates. The FYI classroom should be a first academic home for new freshmen where they feel they are respected for questioning assumptions and conventions and taking intellectual risks.
FYI faculty are committed to teaching their course using active learning, inquiry-guided teaching strategies, and helping students develop the following programmatic outcomes.
- formulate questions/hypotheses to explore a concept, idea, or issue.
- critically analyze and evaluate information.
- integrate learning across contexts.
- feel a sense of community with students in the class.
- feel connected to the instructor of the class.